Final Exam

Instructions

You will write a post on your blog that responds to the following scenario. I expect this post to be substantive — draw on the readings, videos, and resources we’ve worked with over the course of the semester; consider the range of tools that we’ve explored and what role they might play in this scenario. Be creative. The sky is the limit!

The Scenario

Recognizing the vast role that digital technology is playing in the lives of today’s University students, the UMW administration has created a new position: Digital Identity Advisor.  You’ve been hired as the first DIA at UMW.

This new position will have a dual reporting line to the office of Student Affairs and to the Provost (Academic Affairs). In this role, it will be your job to advise both offices on how they should approach digital identity formation throughout the University. You have been given an unlimited budget to explore this topic at the institution.

Write a letter to your two new bosses in which you discuss the following:

• Your sense of how students currently perceive their own digital identity.
  • Your sense of how students currently participate in online communities.
  • The promises and pitfalls of student engagement online.
  • Your goals for how to address/reform/educate/etc. student engagement online.
  • Your detailed plan for the next year to reach these goals.

Things to consider as you draft your letter:

• What is the best way to address these issues within the University’s courses and curriculum?
  • What is the best way to address these issues within the University’s social/cultural activities?
  • What should be the goal of the University concerning how students form and manage their digital identities?
  • What ideas do you have for projects and/or resources that the University could foster and build to advance awareness about the importance of digital identity.

How You Will be Graded

The following criteria will figure into your grade on this assignment:

• Coherent presentation of your ideas: This is the most formal writing assignment I’m expecting of you for this semester. Grammar counts. Spelling counts. Organization of ideas and overall structure counts.
  • Use of media to support your ideas and arguments: Where appropriate, you should use images, video, audio, etc. as part of your presentation.
  • Effective use of resources: I expect you to reference and incorporate information from resources we reviewed during topic investigations. I expect you to reference and incorporate tools and technologies that we explored as part of your plan.
  • Creativity of Plan: I want you to think creatively about how a University might address the topic of identity formation in the digital world. I’m giving you an unlimited budget so that you can feel free to suggest anything! However, I expect your suggestions to make sense as part of a larger, coherent plan. 🙂