Topic Investigations

Over the course of the semester, we will be investigating a range of specific topics that deal with issues of digital identity, community, and citizenship. Each of you will be responsible for leading one topical investigation. As leader, your responsibilities will include the following:

• In consultation with me, choose a set of readings, videos, web sites, etc. for students to read and review before the class discussion.
  • During class discussion, provide a 10-15 minute introduction to the topic. This introduction should provide a “lay of the land” about the topic, introduce any particular debates or controversies you uncovered during your research, and frame the class discussion with a set of provoking questions or prompts. You will also be expected to “lead” the ensuing conversation by asking follow-up questions and prompts. Think of yourself as the instructor for this session!
  • After class, I expect you to also serve as a leader in the online discussion. You should comment on your classmates posts, make connections between them (in a post of your own), answer questions (to the best of your ability), and point them to any resources you might have found.

Each student (including the discussion leader) is also expected to blog at least once about each topic, as well. The post can come before or after the class discussion and it should do more than just regurgitate what you read or watched or explored. I’m interested in your ideas and reactions! What did you agree with? What annoyed you? What do you want to know more about? How did this topic resonate with other things we’ve discussed or things you’ve covered in other classes? How does this topic resonate with your life outside of the classroom?

During the first week of class, I will give you a list of topics from which you will choose your top 3. I will schedule the topics based on this information.

One thought on “Topic Investigations

1. Pingback: Introduction to Week Three | Identity & Citizenship in a Digital Age